OAM… an alternative to link building for digital & product marketing.
OAM is an organic marketing strategy that uncovers, optimizes and distributes organic assets where & when the audience is searching for answers.
The strategy generates links, mentions and actions from reputable sources as a consequence of creative asset marketing.
This is done by uncovering your unique value proposition, mapping value to the user journey, and enabling content creators to experience your asset’s value at key points of the customer journey.
Focuses on the creative process to market organic assets and drive customer action
- Consumer behavior planning: Identify the pains, gains, and tasks for your audience
- Story design: Creatively including your asset in the customer’s story. Identify how your asset can create value based on the customer’s behaviors at key steps & workflows in the customer journey.
- Asset enablement: Optimize the asset with on-page blog articles, guides, templates, tools, or product info. Then use a unique mix of SEO, PR, content marketing, and CRO techniques to allow others to share your asset’s story.
- Search engine funnels: Create traffic funnels from the media to the website via search engines, by creating interest from the target audience.
Organic Assets are owned assets that can generate value for the audience, but can also generate links or highly-targeted search engine traffic.
Owned assets are foundational assets that a company controls. Many of these assets have the potential to create significant value, but the customer and content creators don’t clearly see how the asset’s story aligns with their consumer journey.
Types of owned assets
These assets are the foundational source for how your product or service creates unique value for an audience.
- Experts: Internal experts on topics that align with customer value
- Process & Systems: Unique processes, steps, or systems that customer value
- Product: Provide positioning and unique value propositions
- Technology: Tools, data, templates, or IP
Organic assets enablement
- Sharable: Drive audience and creator engagement
- Engaging: Drive traffic, ranking, and satisfaction for the user need
Organic Asset Location
- On-page: pages, articles, or unique pages explaining the asset and making it easy to find.
- Media: Discussions and sharing on blogs, news sites, reddit, podcasts, youtube, or other areas.
- Search engines: Assets rank in search engines for phases related to the content.
Instead of distributing content, enable customers and content creators to experience your assets’ value.
- Expert how-to or clarity on topics
- Blog articles
- Essential content
- Product information
- Studies or research: list of studies in niche, or application
OAM generates links from media by creating or optimizing valuable organic assets.
Uses workbooks and conceptual frameworks to guide digital marketers through the process of creating expert-driven value for the audience.
- Audience first: who’s saying what and where
- Understand assets: Unique the company’s tools, processes, or systems that create customer value
- Map UVP: Identify the pains, gains, and tasks. Map these between the assets and the audience.
- Find your blue ocean: Identify a unique and creative strategy that includes organic assets, UVP, helpful assets, media, and funnels.
- Enablement: Tell others about the asset, make a great user experience with the UVP, and enable them to share their great experience. This done with content marketing, SEO, PR, and UX design.